This recipe is easy, looks pretty, and is healthy! You can modify the meat/veggie mixture to your taste and liking of course. That’s the beauty of this recipe, it’s all relative! Try it out 🙂
Baked Eggs in Bells
4 red or yellow bell peppers cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed (leave the green stem intact for looks if desired)
1 cup diced zucchini
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 cup diced portobello mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 oz cubed pancetta or diced meat of choice
Cooking oil of choice (we use coconut oil)
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Fresh Herbs for garnish (basil, cilantro, chives etc.)
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Place bell pepper halves on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, saute meat and onions together in the coconut oil over medium to medium high heat until the onions start to soften and the meat begins to brown. Add the minced garlic, zucchini and mushrooms and saute until the zucchini are al dente.
4. When the bell peppers are out of the oven, drain any moisture and pat dry with a paper towel. Fill each bell pepper halfway with the veggie/meat mixture.
5. Depending on the size of your bell pepper, you may be able to use two eggs. We often use one whole egg with yolk plus one or two egg whites for more protein!
6. Place the stuffed bells in a large casserole dish or small baking sheet, cover with foil and bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes – until the egg whites are set. Check after 20 minutes. If you have a smaller bell pepper with one egg, your cooking time will most likely be 25-35 minutes depending on your oven and how you like your yolks.
7. OPTIONAL – top with fresh herbs, diced tomato, or avocado.