We checked out the Kihei Caffe while in Maui. It’s a busy spot – so get there early! Any later than 9:15am, expect to wait in line. This joint is cafeteria style – you wait in line to order, grab a table, then they serve your grub to you. My husband ordered the Mac Nut and Banana pancakes and I had to try out their loco moco. Let me start by saying these portions are HUGE! The loco moco was delicious for the fact that I got it with fried rice instead of white rice, and that the gravy was DEEEELISH! You could tell it was homemade gravy. The pancakes were filling and amazing and of course we had to have it with the coconut syrup!
Check this place out if you get a chance!
Recently, muffin making has been a ‘thing’ in our household. I usually make a ton so my husband can take them to work during the week. I put whatever I can find in them from zucchini to carrots to apple to banana… With chia seeds and oatmeal too!
I’ve never been a huge baker but I figured I should have some go-to recipes like these. Ready for the fail-safe recipe?
Ingredients (these are the ones I use):
3 cups of organic flour
1 cup of organic sugar
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1.5 cups of yogurt
3 eggs (2 whole, 1 egg white)
1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons)
Additional items based on preference:
2 tablespoons of chia seeds, 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup chopped or grated veggies or fruit of choice, 3 tablespoons of peanut/almond/cashew butter and the list goes on!
Feel free to substitute coconut oil instead of butter as well 🙂
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together.
3. Slightly melt butter.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk all wet ingredients together.
5. Fold in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients gently. Be sure to not over mix!
6. Add additional ingredients of choice.
7. Spray the heck out of your muffin tin! No lining needed.
8. Fill your muffin tin with scoops of the mixture until it is filled to the top.
9. Bake for 25-27 minutes. Use a toothpick to see if it’s done! Cooking time may vary depending on the type of ingredients you choose.
10. Take out of the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
Sometimes the best things in life are the most simple! I love this combo: one slice of toasted multigrain bread, a tablespoon of natural peanut butter, 5-6 slices of banana and a drizzle of honey! I can never get enough!
Total carbohydrates: 35.5 grams
Here is the breakdown:
1/2 underripe banana: 11-12 grams
Multigrain bread: 17 grams
1 T of natural peanut butter: 1.5 grams
1/2 t natural honey: 6 grams