Tag Archives: grill
Sunday Funday Grill Day
We usually spend our Saturdays cleaning, running errands, and of course cooking , grilling and attempting to lounge. Yesterday we bought a ‘Flat Point Beef Brisket’ from #thistlemeats in Petaluma. The Flat Point Brisket cut is generally more lean than your average brisket. It has a hardly any marbling and a fat layer that goes through the cut. Today we are smoking the brisket with a whole chicken.
We went to Costco today and bought a no-salt rub. Sometimes you just want to take the easy route and buy an already prepared rub. This rub seemed legitimate as all the ingredients listed were herbs that we commonly use and there weren’t tons of preservatives as well. We added (3/4) teaspoon and (1/2) Tablespoon of brown sugar to (1/4) cup of the rub. We applied it to both the brisket and whole chicken.
We also added fresh oregano thyme and rosemary to the mix as well. We not only inserted the herbs inside the chicken, but also underneath the skin by cutting tiny slits.
We turned our #traeger to 185 degrees with hickory wood pellets at 1pm. We imagine it will be done by 6-7pm. I cheated and took a sneak peak to take a photo for ya. The chicken is a nice golden brown right now – just wait until the final product! Dark, crispy skin with a great smoke ring/color in the meat. Stay tuned 🙂
Traeger Roasted Chicken – NO salt added!
#Traeger Roasted Chicken
For dry rub (no salt!)
2T Onion powder
2T Garlic powder
1T Chili powder
1. Preheat grill to 400F (high)
2. Apply dry rub to chicken – make sure to spread over all surface area.
3. Slice 1/2 of a sweet yellow onion (for one chicken)
4. Place sliced onion inside cavity of chicken.
5. Add any fresh herbs of choice – chop and place in cavity. (We used rosemary, cilantro, thyme & oregano)
6. Place chicken inside grill – one hour!
7. Check chicken after one hour. NO peaking until then!
8. Internal temperature should be 165F. Check with meat thermometer. Weather conditions may alter cooking time.
9. Cut and feast!
This gallery contains 8 photos