Yesterday, made a hearty soup for dinner in our crockpot. I started to make the broth on Monday evening, and then, added the veggies etc. on Tuesday morning. It was a hit!
To make the broth you will need the following ingredients:
1 Ham hock
1 Large onion
1 Celery Stalk
1 Apple (halved)
2 Sprigs of Rosemary
2 Sprigs of Thyme
1 Bay leaf
1/2 Cup chives/green onion – left in large pieces
2 1/2 Cups red wine
2 Tablespoons of minced garlic
- Rinse ham hock – I realize this sounds strange, but it also helps in getting the salt off!
- Put all ingredients in a crockpot on low for 10-12 hours.
- When completed, discard whole pieces of herbs, and any bones.
- Leave that crockpot going on low – you’ll be adding more ingredients!
To complete the soup you’ll need:
3 Cups Lentils
3 Celery stalks – chopped into 3/4in pieces
2 carrots – chopped
3 Cups pearl onions
2 cups frozen peas
2 cups frozen corn
1 cup frozen green beans
- First add all veggies that are NOT frozen to crockpot and leave on low. I did this around 6:30am and then left for work.
- When I got home from work around 5:30pm, I turned the crockpot on high and then added all frozen ingredients. If you need more liquid, I add vegetable stock.
- Let simmer for an hour and a half. If you are very, very hungry, transfer all ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil then simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as desired.